Graduate scholarships (for September 2018) are open for Ethiopian applicants who intend to be a full-time student at the University of Gondar. Applicants with first degree from a recognized University and academically talented, disadvantaged based on the criteria of disability, socioeconomic status, and are not engaged at work at all or have been engaged at work but couldn’t able to cover their study expenses will be eligible for the scholarship.Specifically, to be eligible to apply for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program’s graduate scholarship, applicants must meet the below listed criteria:
- Earned a Bachelor’s degree in a discipline relevant to their proposed graduate program from recognized University using English as a medium of instruction in the past 5 years with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale) at graduation;
- Be citizen and permanent resident of Ethiopia (and residents of Ethiopia for at least five years at the time of their application),
- Have financial difficulty to finance graduate university education; and,
- Have leadership/community giveback experience or potential
- Applicants currently enrolled in any graduate program at UoG at the time of application cannot apply for Mastercard Foundation scholarship award.
- Students from Somalia, Eritrea, South Sudan and Djibouti will be able to apply for a graduate scholarship for the September 2019 entry.
WHAT ARE THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS?
Graduate scholarships (for September 2018) are open for Ethiopian applicants who intend to be a full-time student at the University of Gondar. Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Earned a Bachelor’s degree in a discipline relevant to their proposed graduate study from recognized University using English as a medium of instruction in the past 5 years;
- Earned a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale) at the time of graduation;
- Be citizen and permanent resident of Ethiopia (and residents of Ethiopia for at least five years at the time of application);
- Have demonstrated economic difficulty to finance graduate studies; and,
- Have leadership/community giveback experience or potential.
Graduate applicants must be in or applying to one of the following programs:
Students from Somalia, Eritrea, South Sudan and Djibouti will be able to apply for a graduate scholarship for the September 2019 entry. The dates of application will be announced in due time on the Scholars Program website (www.uogqueensmcf.com) and other appropriate media.
WHO CAN APPLY? CAN APPLICANTS WITHOUT PHYSICAL IMPAIRMENTS APPLY FOR THE SCHOLARSHIP?
Yes. Academically talented with and/or without visual, hearing or mobility disability can apply for graduate scholarship but must demonstrate financial need, community giveback experience and leadership capacity/experience.
HOW DO I APPLY? WHERE CAN I GET THE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION PACKAGE?
Applications can be completed and submitted online. You can also Download a Paper Application (English) form and send by email ([email protected]) or mail (Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program; P.O. Box 1082; Gondar, Ethiopia) after filling the required information along with scanned copies of relevant testimonials and credentials.
CAN ALL AFRICANS APPLY FOR THE SCHOLARSHIP?
The scholarship is not open for all Africans. Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program awards graduate scholarships for citizens and residents of five East African countries i.e. Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea (refugees in camps located in Ethiopia), Djibouti and South Sudan. But, for September 2018 entry, only Ethiopians can apply. Applicants from Somalia, Eritrea, South Sudan and Djibouti may apply for the September 2019 entry.
DO THE RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE MINISTRY OF EDUCATION APPLY IN THE RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION OF SCHOLARS?
Yes, the rules and regulations of the Ministry of Education as well as the UoG apply. Please visit the Ministry of Education website and the University of Gondar Senate Legislation for more information.
WHAT IS THE APPLICATION DEADLINE?
The opening and closing date of the application for graduate scholarships will be April 29, 2018 and May 30, 2018. respectively.
DOES THE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION HAVE A FEE?
There is no fee to apply for the scholarship.
WHAT ARE THE ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS AT UOG?
Applicants applying to the University of Gondar must earn a bachelor’s degree in a discipline relevant to their proposed graduate program from recognized University with a minimum CGPA of 2.75. More information is available by reading the University of Gondar Senate Legislation or by contacting the University of Gondar Registrar’s office.
WHAT SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS MUST ETHIOPIAN APPLICANTS FULFIL?
Applicants must complete an application form and provide information about their academic ability, financial need and disability status, as well as community giveback and leadership potential. When applying online or sending applications via email, please have ready scanned copies of all relevant documents and attach them with your signed and scanned Application Form. While sending your application by mail, please also send your copies of your credentials and testimonials as well.
WHAT SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS MUST INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS FULFIL?
Requirements for international applicants will be available on the website in the Fall of 2019.
WHAT DOCUMENTS MUST ACCOMPANy GRADUATE APPLICATIONS?
The application form must be accompanied by the following documents:
- A medical paper signed by the Health/Hospital Board attesting to your disability type and degree, if you have been assessed by a health professional
- Completed and signed Scholarship Application Form;
- Detailed resume of academic, non‐academic and volunteer work;
- All elementary, high school and university transcripts/student copy;
- Two letters of recommendations from previous universities;
- Ethiopian national and/or resident identification card, or passport;
- Testimonials regarding their economic disadvantage (for Kebele/Woreda Administrator);
- Letter from District Police Office regarding their criminal record; and,
- Testimonial about voluntary community giveback and leadership.
WHAT ARE THE STUDY PROGRAMS for GRADUATE THAT ADMIT SCHOLARS? WHAT ARE THESE PROGRAMS’ SPECIFIC ACADEMIC AND NON-ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS?
Graduate applicants must be in or applying to one of the following programs:
Applicants are advised to visit the University of Gondar website for program specific academic and non-academic requirements.
HOW ARE SCHOLARS RECRUITED, SELECTED AND AWARDED?
Scholarships and deadlines for applying will be advertised on ETV, FANA FM radio, and Scholars Program website and through a link on the University of Gondar website. The Scholars Program at the University of Gondar will also partner with Regional/Zonal Education Bureaus/Offices and Regional Associations of PwDs, FAWE and other stakeholders to make announcements and make application materials available for potential applicants.
Scholarships are awarded on the basis of applicants’ demonstrated academic ability, financial need and disability status, as well as community giveback and leadership potential. Letters of reference from a teacher, previous Universities and a Kebele/Woreda manager or administrator will also be reviewed when selecting students for the scholarship.
WHAT COSTS DOES THE SCHOLARSHIP COVER?
The scholarship covers the full cost of tuition, accommodation/boarding, a stipend and additional expenses such as books. The scholarship also includes academic, financial and social support to help awardees develop into capable leaders in their communities, and experiential activities such as summer camps.
WHAT MUST SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS BRING WITH THEM AT THE TIME OF ADMISSION?
Scholarship winners must bring:
- Original and authenticated student reports/transcripts
- Original supporting documents
- A medical history report from a doctor, if one is available
- Basic personal and hygiene supplies
WHAT SUPPORT SYSTEMS AND SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE FOR SCHOLARSHIP HOLDERS?
The scholarship includes academic, financial and social support to help awardees develop into capable leaders in their communities.
Scholarship winners will receive mentoring, career counselling, life skills coaching, and the opportunity to participate in experiential activities and internships. They will gain important connections through an alumni network that offers information, resources, and opportunities to consult with other graduates. They will also build core competencies such as critical thinking, problem solving, and working with diverse groups to ensure their success in a global economy.
WHAT EXPENSES ARE NOT COVERED BY THE SCHOLARSHIP?
The following expenses are not covered by the scholarship:
- Personal travel
- Family allowances
- Treatments for advanced medical or chronic conditions
DO APPLICANTS STUDYING towards graduate degree in any ETHIOPIAN University eligible to apply for the SCHOLARSHIP?
At this time, only students who are not enrolled in any graduate study program at UoG are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
If you don’t see your answer in our FAQ or just want to talk to someone about the scholarships, please Contact Us!
If you do not want to submit your application form online, please e-mail it to or send it to: [email protected]
University of Gondar
P.O. Box 1082